When planning out the perfect modern kitchen design, choosing the right materials is key. This is especially true for your kitchen cabinet choices. Contemporary kitchen cabinets are available in a wide variety of wood, like natural wood or olive wood, each with their own standout qualities. Since homeowner’s in NYC spend an average of 35% of their kitchen remodeling budgets on kitchen cabinets, it is worth to choose a kitchen cabinet material you love. Not sure which wood is best for your kitchen needs? Use this guide to pick your ideal type of wood cabinets.
- Maple: This wood is very popular for modern custom kitchen designs since its light color makes it easy to stain. The grain of maple wood cabinets is also light, so it looks smooth and uniform in your kitchen from afar.
- Cherry: A durable option for families with children, cherry wood cabinets can stand up to most wear and tear. This type of wood kitchen cabinets’ color is originally a lighter red or brown, but it gets darker with time.
- White Oak: The stronger of the oaks, this wood has a rustic, cozy feel. Using white oak wood for your kitchen is another popular choice for custom modern kitchen cabinets and has a soft grain to it.
- Red Oak: Red oak is versatile, as it takes well too many types of finishes. Its bold grain gives it a more woody look in your kitchen space than the previous options, so it is often used for more transitional or even traditional style kitchen designs.
- Ash: Ash is a clean wood cabinet material with an even grain. It can be customized with the right finish to look contemporary and crisp, giving your modern kitchen an original feel.
- Pine: Remember that pine is a softwood, so it is generally speaking less durable than hardwood options in your modern Italian kitchen. It is light in color, making it easy to stain, and it also displays tree knots throughout the cabinet doors. Much like red oak, pine is more commonly found in transitional kitchens.
- Birch: The birch tree has a luxurious look to it, taking on a variety of colors. Birch has a fine grain and is highly durable, which makes it a preferred material for kitchen projects. It also has a smooth surface that may change color with age.
Wooden modern kitchen cabinets tend to take an originally transitional or traditional cabinet material to create a stunning, contemporary kitchen design. By working with professional kitchen designers, you will be assisted in choosing the best cabinet materials for your overall kitchen aesthetics. Visit our Cesar NYC Kitchen Showroom to experience the materials in an authentic environment. With the right planning in place, your appliances, floors, cabinets, countertops, and backsplash will integrate seamlessly and timelessly together into your modern kitchen design.